Friday, February 5, 2010

Slow Cooker Tamale Pie


The original recipe you can find HERE at allrecipes.com. I had to alter it a little bit with ingredients that I had. This is my recipe:

1 pound ground beef, browned & drained
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn (drained)
1 can olives (chopped)
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 can tomato sauce + 1 can water
1 Tablespoon chili powder
(Also, you could add one can green chilies for a bit more spice)
----

1 (8.5 ounce) package corn bread/muffin mix
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

1. Place the hamburger through the chili powder in your slow cooker and mix slightly.

2. In a bowl, combine the corn bread mix with milk, egg, and butter, and stir until just mixed. Stir in the Cheddar cheese. Spoon the corn bread mixture over the beef mixture in the slow cooker.

3. Set the cooker to Low, cover, and cook until the corn bread topping is cooked through and set (4-5 hours, mine was closer to 4).

Top with cheese, salsa, sour cream, chilies, etc.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kathy Hester (GeekyPoet) said...

This looks yummy! I'll try it with a meat substitute since I'm a vegetarian. I have a bunch of healthy slow cooker recipes that I post on my blog if you're interested. (http://healthyslowcooking.wordpress.com)