Tuesday, July 6, 2010
• 2 1/2 cups wheat berries
• 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
• 1/2 cup barley
• 1/2 cup millet
• 1/4 cup dry lentils
• 2 tablespoons dry white beans
• 2 tablespoons dry kidney beans
• 2 tablespoons dried pinto beans
• 4 cups warm water
• 1 cup honey
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
• 2 teaspoons salt
1. Measure the water, honey, olive oil, and yeast into a large bowl. Let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir all of the grains and beans together until well mixed. Grind in a flour mill. Add fresh milled flour and salt to the yeast mixture; stir until well mixed, about 10 minutes. The dough is more like batter bread. Pour dough into two greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans (or 5 mini loaf pans).
3. Let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until dough has reached top of the pan.
4. Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees (it will be shorter for the mini loaves- I think it was about half an hour), or until loaves are golden brown.
Notes: I gave away most of this bread and everyone loved them! The bread is very hearty and has a great flavor, very moist.