Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hippie Chow

I stole this super yummy recipe from this blog which I love.


I didn’t make it for kids, but my husband eats like a 6 year old and he loved it.

This recipe is really flexible, so I’ll tell you what I used last night and you can do your own thing.

HIPPIE CHOW

2c. water (or a rice cooker and whatever it requires)

1c. quinoa

Olive oil

3 smallish beets

2 carrots

1 regular brown potato

3 cloves garlic

1/8th of an onion

1 zucchini

1 yellow squash



1. Cook the quinoa. You can just put it in a rice cooker and cook it exactly the same way you would rice. If you don’t have a rice cooker, bring 2c. water to boil in a saucepan, add quinoa, bring back to a boil, cover, turn temp to medium-low and cook for 15-20 mins.

2. Heat oven to 400. Chop beets, carrots, and potatoes. Toss with olive oil and roast on cookie sheet until tender. (I threw some SeasonAll on as well since I was being lazy.) When they get close to being done, go to step 3.

3. Saute garlic & onion in olive oil. Meanwhile, chop zucchini and squash. Add zucchini and squash to onion/garlic and cook until tender (or just a couple minutes if you like them crunchy). Season w/ salt and pepper.

4. Throw some of everything in a bowl and top with a poached egg.

You can also put ketchup or hot sauce on it, but it tastes really good and doesn’t need extra flavoring; plus I hate ketchup.

2 comments:

~ kietra ~ said...

Thanks for sharing! This is a great recipe- I don't have many that involve quinoa but I really like it. I ommitted the beets and sauted the carrots and potatoes (after being boiled and chopped)with the zuchini (because I'm lazy!)..

Minnie said...

Glad you liked it! Funny that you ommitted the beets. I had never had them before but put them in this and the first words out of my mouth when I tasted it was "mmm, I love beets". I don't know why they get such a bad rap!

I like your saute twist--I roasted the squash the second time I made this because I thought it was annoying to have to cook the vegetables in two batches.